I have always been wondering how rich our language is. The Kadazandusun language. I’ve been a Dusun for 27 years now, still I have lots to learn about the language. I can speak moderate Dusun, I can converse with others in a daily conversation, but still I’m in awe watching, observing and hearing the elders communicate. I can only understand half the communication when they are conversing using in traditional KadazanDusun.
Dusun is not a written language. Well, at least not now. There have been so little linguistic studies for the language. Hopefully in the future, many of our next generations will have the option to learn the language through books, in addition to the traditional way of learning the language.
Many of our younger generations and some of the older generations are not able to converse in KadazanDusun. Why? My observation has revealed 3 main reasons for that. They are: (Please do not quote me on this)
1. Their parent(s):
Their parents did not familiarize them with the language during childhood. Thus, they are unable to catch the rhythm of the language. This may also be affected by mixed marriage. (I am not opposing mixed marriage).
2. Their environment:
Nowadays, we can see mixed race living in residential areas. It’s unlike the rural areas where we can see a majority of race are dominating. The mixed race will resolve to one language to communicate with each other. Commonly used language is the Malay language. Younger generations will grow up using the Malay language and forgetting their mother tongue.
3. The individuals:
There are no initiative from the individuals to learn the KadazanDusun language.
To be fair, there are a few category of KadazanDusuns.
Category 1: Not able to understand the KadazanDusun language at all.
Category 2: Able to understand a few simple words.
Category 3: Able to understand but unable to converse.
Category 4: Able to understand and converse In KadazanDusun.
Category 5: Able to converse in KadazanDusun only.
I’m in category 4, thanks to my grandparents. But i admit, i still have a long way to go to master the language. I cannot stop only at the daily conversation level only. For those who are in the process of learning, go for it. For those who knows the language well, help us to learn the language. For those who does not care, you don’t know what you are missing.
2 comments:
Sabahans need to speak up for Sabah.
If not, Sabah will go down a very irreversible pathway.
If not already.
Ogumu tulun tokou mongomi kokomoi boros tokou Boros Kadazandusun miagal no di isai koilo moboroos, nokuro amu koilo moboros, kongoi-ongoion Bkd do baino om suusuai po...
Koontok no kopio i om potilombuson daa...alansan daa do kopoimbulai pomusarahan montok koburuon do Bkd...loolobi da di tulun tongokikagarasan---miagal YB po toi...
Post a Comment